Sunday, September 23, 2007

Chip Chip Cheerio (aka my trip to London)

What a great weekend!!! To be perfectly clear, and prevent any misunderstandings, I planned this trip with only one intention. Drinking with my best guy-friend from college, Greg, who has been living in London for a little under a year. Before arriving, I specifically told Greg “no touristy things, just you and me catching up, drinking a few pints and maybe getting some Indian food.” So, based on those expectations, the weekend was an absolute success. I still don’t know where I was in London, what London is famous for or anything at all about the city. Here is what I do know after a weekend there.

Greg lives some place called Kinsten Town which is close to Camden Town (all of which are apparently in North London) Camden Town has a great bar called The Worlds End and below it a dance club called Underworld, which plays 80s rock and pop songs on Friday nights. The dance club attire allows for men to wear neon fluorescent spandex pants with matching pink shirts. Screaming/singing at the top of your lungs along to Bon Jovi is encouraged.

Greg’s flatmate Katie’s brother is dating a girl named Alice whose birthday we celebrated on Saturday night with a beautiful British Garden party. Alice’s brother, George, who is dating another American, is best friends with Katie’s ex-boyfriend. Katie promised to draw a diagram to help illustrate all of the connections. The party was located in some suburb of London about 45 away in a beautiful estate with a massive garden.

If you need a dress for your first official British Garden party, the best and cheapest place to go is TopShop. I have no idea where it is located, although I believe it is between two circuses (Picadilly and one other one). TopShop is amazing and I could easily spend an afternoon (and 500GBP) there. But I don’t recommend going hung over, after a night of singing at the top of your lungs to Bon Jovi.

Contrary to all popular fashion magazines in the US it is acceptable for an American girl to wear leggings under a dress to a garden party. I tested this theory first hand after breaking down and buying my first pair of leggings since 5th grade.

When leaving the suburbs and trying to get back into London on a Saturday night, don’t always believe the information online. The last train in facts leaves at 1am (not 1:12) and the next one isn’t until 6am. In case you miss the train, a cab ride is 65GBP.

And finally, London does in fact offer the best Indian food. The verdict on fish and chips will be undecided until my next trip.

No comments: